4/24/2007

Missing BC pills

Dear Yuliya
I'm a lady in a committed monogamous relationship with a gentlemen. We have both been tested for everything possible and no longer use condoms. I take Orthotricyclen every night at around the same hour as directed. However, I forgot to take my pill two nights in a row! Durrr! We have not had sex for maybe 4 or 5 days, however, so all I want to know is how long I should wait?
I do not want TEH BABIES!


Dear I do not want TEH BABIES,
Take your next pill as soon as is possible, along with yesterday's pill. Do not take more than 2 pills at a time. Throw away the other one you missed. Then, it depends on which week of your pills you are on. Most people seem to recommend waiting for 7 days, and if you are on the third week of the cycle, to skip the week of placebo pills and just continue on to the next pack. I'd wait until your period, just in case. If you are in your third week when you forget some pills, then go ahead and start the next pack instead of the placebo, but be warned that with a tri-phasic birth control pill you will likely have breakthrough bleeding. I'd recommend waiting until you're a week into your next pack to start penis-in-vagina sex.

This question actually brings me to one of my favorite things to talk about, though - the many fun things you can do that do not involve penis-in-vagina! Intimacy is many many things and there seems to be somewhat of an over-emphasis on PIV. Some people even call PIV the only "real" sex. You and your partner can enjoy each others' sexuality without it, when something like a missed birth control pill throws you off. There is oral sex, anal sex (if you are into that sort of thing), manual stimulation, mutual masturbation, heck even regular masturbation next to each other, sex toys, and whatever else your imagination may come up with! This might be a good time to just explore each other and come up with new erogenous zones. This is a time for play!

No comments: